The Los Altos History Museum welcomes groups to visit and explore the Museum and its J. Gilbert Smith House.
Temporarily on Hold
Museum Tour Areas:
Permanent Exhibits (top floor – elevator available) Use of land over time, beginning with the Ohlone period and including Spanish, Orchards and more modern times. This area also includes an active model train display depicting the Los Altos rail system in 1932.
Changing Exhibitions (main floor) Exhibits change 3-4 times a year.
J.Gilbert Smith House (separate building with stairs only) Decorated in the period of the 1930s. This 1905 craftsman house also includes a small exhibit gallery upstairs.
A Group is defined as 10 people or more. By letting the Museum know about a group and their interests a special docent(s) will greet you and lead your tour. *Individuals and groups smaller than 10 people are always welcome to visit without a special docent during regular Museum hours.
Group Use During Regular Open Hours: Thursday-Sunday from noon-4pm. Notification and arrangement of a group is required with no fee—a donation is suggested.
Group Use Outside Regular Hours: Tuesday and Wednesday, 10-3pm. Notification and arrangements required plus a fee of $5/person.
For Group Tour Arrangements fill out and Submit the Form to the Right and Call: 650,948.9427 x14 for questions.
Group Tour Rules
- Please try to reserve your tour at least 2-4 weeks prior to your visit.
- Please be on time, or let us know that you are running late. We will wait up to 30 minutes for outside and regular hour tours.
- Tours last one hour or slightly more. You are welcome to use our patio and oak tree grounds to picnic before or after your tour. There is also nearby play equipment, restrooms, and the community library. The Village of Los Altos is within easy walking distance.
- If the group is children please provide adequate adult supervision. (One adult for every 5-7 children)
- You are visiting a museum and although there are some hands on exhibits, in most cases we have a hands-off policy.