August 20, 2020 - January 31, 2021
J. Gilbert Smith House
One hundred years ago, the 19th amendment was ratified, and women were finally granted the right to vote in the United States. Come celebrate the centennial of women’s suffrage with this outdoor exhibit, displayed along the wrap-around porch of the J. Gilbert Smith House.
- “Women on Wheels,” car parade – Aug 26th, 3:30-5:30pm
- Elected Women Speak Up* – Sep 12th, 5-6pm
- Women’s Suffrage in Santa Clara County* – Sep 17th, noon-1:30pm
- Race and the Suffrage Movement* – Nov 10th, noon-1:30pm
* Online registration required. Events take place via Zoom unless otherwise noted.
Click on above links for program details and to register.
The fight for women’s suffrage was waged over many years, and in every corner of the country, including Santa Clara County. Sponsored by the Los Altos Community Foundation, Santa Clara County Office of Women’s Policy, League of Women Voters, and American Association of University Women, this exhibit honors the women who fought for the right to vote, and shows how their legacy lives on today.
Exhibit HighlightsClick on the images below to view larger.
Elected Women Speak Up, held Sep 12th, 5-6pm via Zoom
Women’s Suffrage in Santa Clara County, held Sep 17th, noon-1:30pm via Zoom