Crown of the Peninsula

Permanent Exhibit Gallery

The “Crown of the Peninsula” depicts the uses of our local land and its inhabitants over time. Take a journey with the native peoples, Mexican land grantees, early California settlers, and apricot growers as they make what is now Los Altos their home.

Continue reading

J. Gilbert Smith House

Built from 1901 to 1905 by Oregon native, J. Gilbert Smith, this craftsman-style farm house typifies the early orchard homes of the local area. Originally situated on 14+ acres of prize-winning apricot orchards, the Smith's lived in the home from 1901 until 1973. In 1954 the City of Los Altos purchased the property, including the house and the 10.44 acres of apricot orchards as the site for the Civic Center with the Smith's retaining lifetime residency of the house and a surrounding acre. Upon Mrs. Smith's death in 1973, the home and one acre reverted to the City.

Continue reading

Agricultural Exhibit & Grounds

The historic gardens surrounding the Museum and J. Gilbert Smith House feature several beautiful towering oak trees, lovely garden plantings and displays of agricultural equipment in use during our early orchard era.

Continue reading