Lucile and David Packard

17 Jan 2008 through 22 Jun 2008

Main Gallery

Communities must be better for our presence." David Packard

This exhibit looks beyond the public life of Dave and Lucile Packard - beyond their literally world-changing philanthropy, beyond their huge company which began life in a tiny garage and beyond the ground-breaking “HP Way” – the incredibly productive and personally rewarding management style.

Continue reading

Wallace Stegner

6 Jan 2005 through 12 Jun 2005

Main Gallery

An expansive retrospective on the life and influence of a true Western hero, the exhibit chronicles the life achievements of this local literary legend.

Continue reading

Backyard Politics

11 Aug 2016 through 6 Nov 2016

J. Gilbert Smith House

Politics is more than just elections; it’s also about community engagement. Find out how political issues have played out on a local level.

Continue reading

Tintype Photography

30 Jul 2015 through 29 Feb 2016

J. Gilbert Smith House

Tied to past exhibit, Reflect + Create: Where Art & History Intersect, this vintage tintype photography exhibit is based upon results from a workshop led by Emmy Award-winning instructor, Russell Brown of Adobe Systems.

Continue reading

Crown of the Peninsula

21 Mar 2019 through 21 Mar 2019

Permanent Exhibit Gallery

The “Crown of the Peninsula” depicts the uses of our local land and its inhabitants over time. Take a journey with the native peoples, Mexican land grantees, early California settlers, and apricot growers as they make what is now Los Altos their home.

Continue reading

J. Gilbert Smith House

15 May 2018 through 21 Mar 2019

J. Gilbert Smith House

Built from 1901 to 1905 by Oregon native, J. Gilbert Smith, this craftsman-style farm house typifies the early orchard homes of the local area. Originally situated on 14+ acres of prize-winning apricot orchards, the Smiths lived in the home from 1901 until 1973. In 1954 the City of Los Altos purchased the property, including the house and the 10.44 acres of apricot orchards as the site for the Civic Center with the Smiths retaining lifetime residency of the house and a surrounding acre. Upon Mrs. Smith's death in 1973, the home and one acre reverted to the City.

Continue reading