Saturday & Sunday, September 20-21 - 10am-4pm
Admission: $5 per person (under 4 free)
For more information, click here
Community favorite, Train Days, returns to the Los Altos History Museum for two days of train-filled fun celebrating the joy and wonder of model railroading. Elaborate layouts, intricate scenery and scaled renditions of prototypes and whimsical engines and theme cars, complete with steam, lights and sound, will speed along rails to delight visitors of all ages. Explore the gauges and scales associated with model railroading as private collectors and clubs as they showcase and answer questions about their American, European and Asian layouts:
- Live Steamers from the Bay Area Garden Railway Society (G scale)
- Diablo Pacific Short Line (G scale)
- Golden Gate Lionel Railroad Club (O scale)
- Private Collector: Swiss Narrow Gauge (HO scale)
- Peninsula NTrak and AsiaNrail (N scale)
- Private Collector: the Civil War's First Battle of Manassas / Bull Run (N scale)
"We're thrilled that our favorites are returning, and to bring something new every year," says event chair Kristen Fuller. "This year, we will go back in time as far as the Civil War, with the historic First Battle of Manassas, plus we will again go around the world to Asia and beyond - in HO and N scale."
Marking 150 years of passenger service on the Peninsula, trains are integral to America’s history. In 1907 Southern Pacific put Los Altos on the map with its steam railway connecting Palo Alto to Los Gatos. Mirroring railroad development through the years, you’ll see the transition from early steam locomotives to diesel engines up through electric and high-speed passenger trains—all scaled in miniature. Whether you’re new to model railroading or have been an enthusiast for years, come join the fun and see why it is one of the most beloved hobbies around the world.
Sunday, September 28
Historic Bike Tour
Explore Los Altos by bike - sign up now here; $20 registration fee includes lunch.
Saturday, October 4 - 10am-Noon
Free for all children grades 2-4, parents welcome
Learn about the Puichon Ohlone with four experienced teachers. Activities include hands-on games, crafts, acorn grinding, and food tasting.
Lean In-style Circles
Wednesday, November 19 - Noon-4pm
Catch the Spirit!
Get a head start on your holiday shopping, enjoy tours of historic Smith House and refreshments. Free.
Saturday, February 7, 2015
28th Crab Feed & Auction
On Exhibit: October 18 through April 2015
Silicon Valley: The Lure & Legends
Showcasing dozens of local visionaries who helped create Silicon Valley, this original exhibition will answer the question:
What was it that led the Valley of Heart's Delight from orchards to oscillators?
Who were the visionaries and risk takers who made it happen?
The exhibit will focus on local folks who made good, created by the amazing team who brought us ground-breaking original exhibits on Wallace Stegner, Lucile & David Packard and Josephine & Frank Duveneck.
This is the story of the "who" and the "why" behind the "what."
Don't miss it!
Opening Reception:Sunday, October 19 - 2-4 pm
- Wednesday, November 5: Military & Defense Talk–“Hidden History of Silicon Valley,” 7pm, LAHS Eagle Theater
- Tuesday, December 2: Scott Summit of Bespoke, 7pm, Los Altos Stage Co. Museum open 5:30-9pm
- Wednesday, January 14, 2015: The Stanford Connection, 7pm
- Wednesday, February 11: Historical/Founders/Visionaries Panel Discussion, 7pm
- Saturday, March 14: Family Day at the Museum, noon-4pm
- Tuesday, April 14: Film Night, 7pm, Los Altos Stage Co. Museum open 5:30-9pm